OUT OF STATE COVERAGE
When the policy applies to the operation of a motor vehicle outside of your state, and the limits are higher in that state, your insurance will increase your limits to the extent of the limits required by the local law. As long as you possess those coverages in your own policy. For example, if you live in a state that requires PIP and the state you are driving in requires bodily injury, than your insurance will not provide bodily injury since you have not purchased this coverage.You must purchase bodily injury protection to have this coverage. If your PIP is $10,000/$20,000 and the state in which you are driving has a limit of $15,000/$30,000 than your limit will be increased to meet the higher limits required for that particular state.
California Car Insurance Laws
|The minimum amount of liability insurance required in California is as follows:|
|$15,000/$30,000 for bodily Injury|
|$5,000 for property damage|
Note that the liability coverage required by law covers only damage the policy holder does to others. To pay for damages to your car, you will need to purchase collision insurance or comprehensive insurance for damage to your vehicle from other causes.
Uninsured/Under insured Motorist Coverage is not mandatory in the state of California. Drivers have the right to waive this coverage, but it is highly recommended that you carry it.
You must carry evidence of financial responsibility in your vehicle at all times and must be provided as specified below:
When requested by law enforcement.
When renewing vehicle registration.
When the vehicle is involved in a traffic collision.
Providing evidence of financial responsibility:
In some cases, you may also be requested to submit additional insurance information to DMV by providing:
- A document or identification card from your insurance company.
- A DMV authorization letter, if you are a cash depositor or are self-insured.
- California Proof of Insurance Certificate (SR-22) for broad coverage or owner’s policy.
- Evidence that the vehicle is owned or leased by a public entity defined in Government Code §811.2.
- A Notification of Alternative Forms of Financial Responsibility (REG 5085) (PDF) form for vehicle covered by a commercial or business policies and being registered for the first time.
- A statement of facts (REG 256) (PDF) certifying the motor carrier has evidence of insurance on file with the Public Utilities Commission or DMV pursuant to CVC §34630.
You should be aware that in a competitive insurance market insurance companies charge different rates for essentially the same coverage. Shopping around may result in savings to you on your automobile policy. Be sure to take into consideration the services provided by the company.